Confidential STD Testing Questions and Answers
For confidential and private STD testing, come to Getwell Urgent Care in Merced, CA. You can rest assured that your test results are for your eyes only. Call us today or book an appointment. Visit our clinic conveniently located at 650 W. Olive Ave Suite B Merced CA 95348.
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are a common type of communicable infection. In the United States, there are millions of reported cases of STDs every year. There are two main types of STDs: viral infections and bacterial infections. STDs caused by bacteria, such as gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis, can be cured with a course of antibiotics. Viral STDs, such as herpes, HPV and hepatitis B, cannot be cured, only treated.
How do you test for STDs?
Testing for STDs differs per type of STD and can include:
- Urine Test — A sample of urine is collected in a cup, which is then analyzed in a lab.
- Blood Test — These tests collect a sample of blood to check for blood-borne STDs.
- Swab Test — During this test, the infected area is swabbed, then the sample is analyzed for an infection.
- Visual Test — These are the simplest tests to perform and involve visually examining external symptoms.
What are the standard STD tests?
The following STD tests are commonly performed:
- Chlamydia — Swab of genital area or urine sample
- Gonorrhea — Swab of genital area or urine sample
- HIV — Blood test or finger prick
- Genital herpes (no symptoms) — Blood test
- Genital herpes (with symptoms) — Blood test and swab of the affected area
- Syphilis — Blood test, or sample taken from sores
- Trichomoniasis (Trich) — A visual exam, swab of a sample of discharge or the infected area
- HPV (genital warts) — Visual exam
- HPV (cervical cancer) — A sample is taken from the cervix, similar to a Pap smear
Can I get tested for all STDs at once?
There is no single test for all STDs. Instead, each STD has its own test. STD testing may include:
- A urine test, which involves collecting a sample of urine in a cup.
- A blood test, which involves having a sample of blood drawn from the arm.
- A visual test, which involves visually analyzing the genitals for sores and other signs of STDs.
- A swab test, which involves collecting a sample of fluid or discharge with a swab.
You may be able to get tested for multiple STDs in one visit, however certain tests may need to be scheduled separately.
How long does it take for STDs to show up?
The length of time it takes for STDs to exhibit symptoms varies based on the type of STD:
- Chlamydia — Symptoms usually appear after 1 to 3 weeks, but some people are asymptomatic (they do not have symptoms).
- Genital herpes — Symptoms can appear after 4 to 7 days but can remain dormant for months or even years.
- Genital warts — Sometimes symptoms do not appear, especially in men. If symptoms do appear, they could start anywhere from 3 weeks to several months or even years after contact with the virus that causes them.
- Gonorrhea — Symptoms usually appear within 2 weeks of contracting the disease, but could start much later.
- Pubic lice — Symptoms of pubic lice can take several weeks to appear.
- Scabies — If you have never had them before, symptoms of scabies can take up to 6 weeks to appear. However, if you have, it may only take up to 4 days.
- Syphilis — Symptoms usually appear 2 to 3 weeks after contracting the disease, but could start earlier or much later.
- HIV — The first symptoms of HIV may appear after 2 to 6 weeks, and can remain dormant for several years after the initial symptoms clear up.
If you are looking for a clinic that provides trustworthy, confidential STD testing, come to Getwell Urgent Care in Merced, CA. Our kind and caring professionals are discreet and take your privacy very seriously. Call us today to book an appointment. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Merced CA, Atwater CA, Livingston CA, Chowchilla CA, Turlock CA, Ballico CA, Delhi CA, The Grove CA, Bear Creek CA, Planada CA, Le Grand CA, and Athlone CA.