Workers Compensation Questions and Answers
At Getwell Urgent Care, We are dedicated to helping employees who have been injured to recover quickly and return back to work safely. For more information, please call us or schedule an appointment online. Visit our clinic conveniently located at 650 W Olive Avenue, Suite B Merced, CA 95348.
Each workplace is designed to protect the employees from injury or illness with certain safety protocols put in place to ensure these events are avoided. However, some injuries are unforeseeable, and therefore cannot be avoided. When an employee or worker becomes injured on the job, they can receive monetary compensation for lost wages which is known as workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation not only protects employees from financial loss, but it also ensures that the employer cannot be held liable for any injuries that take place while performing work-related duties.
What is workers’ compensation?
Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that helps protect employers and their employees from financial loss when a worker is hurt on the job or acquires an illness from a work-related cause. Also known as workman’s comp, workman’s compensation, and workers’ comp, these terms all mean the same thing and help protect workers from potentially devastating costs of work-related injuries and illnesses, both acute and chronic. It also helps protect employers from potential damages that could result in serious damages as a result of a workers’ compensation claim.
What questions do I ask my doctor about workers’ comp?
When filing a workers’ compensation claim, it is important to discuss the following topics with a doctor:
- Diagnosis — Having a clear understanding of the diagnosis will provide a better idea of what to expect from the recovery process and prognosis following the injury. To better understand the diagnosis, it is important to ask questions and stay informed about the established diagnos A definite diagnosis will also help the workplace calculate the time it will take to return to work activities and will also help the insurance company understand the extent of the injury.
- Treatment — A clear knowledge of any tests or therapy that are needed to treat the injury will allow workers to judge the extent of their injury as well as the time frame for recovery. This will also prepare the injured party for any limitations that may result from the injury and treatments.
- Complications — Some injuries and illnesses are susceptible to future complications, and asking questions about these possibilities will help to gauge the healing process. It is vital to know what the future may look like after sustaining an injury and any long-term treatments that may be required in order to fully recover.
Are all work-related injuries covered by workers’ comp?
There are many individual injuries that are covered by workers’ compensation; a complete list would be long and over-detailed, as a general list will often provide enough information for the coverage. This includes:
- Physical Injury — This covers broken bones, moderate to severe strains or sprains, cuts and lacerations, and even back pain.
- Illness — This can include illnesses that develop over many years, including degenerative conditions.
- Overuse — Repetitive motions or overusing certain muscles or tendons can cause injuries such as carpal tunnel.
- Hearing Loss – Hearing loss is a common injury for those working in loud environments such as factories or construction sites, and is generally covered under workers’ compensation in many states.
- Stress — An extremely common work-related issue, stress can cause physical and mental illnesses, all of which can be covered by workers’ compensation in certain states.
Injuries caused while intoxicated on the job or from horseplay are typically not covered under workers’ compensation.
What are workers’ compensation benefits?
Workers’ compensation provides a monetary benefit to an injured worker, which is determined based on the workers’ average income. These rates vary by state.
At Getwell Urgent Care, we are dedicated to providing you with all of your workers’ compensation needs. Call us today to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 650 W Olive Avenue, Suite B Merced, CA 95348. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Merced CA, Atwater CA, Livingston CA, Chowchilla CA, Turlock CA, Ballico CA, Delhi CA, The Grove CA, Bear Creek CA, Planada CA, Le Grand CA, and Athlone CA.